Thursday, February 10, 2011

into the wild

Into the wild is a true story about an unbelievable man named Chris McCandles, who leaves society's materialistic environment to set off on a journey to Alaska. He was born into a well off family, had owned a car, had excessive funds in his account after college (which he attended and graduated. He abandoned his car, donated $25,000 to charity and burned the money left in his wallet. Chris was disgusted by how materialistic everyone was, in society and even his own parents. He left without saying a word to anyone, so they reported him missing. His sister knew otherwise, they were really close and she had a feeling he just up and left. His family felt ashamed, how could there son just leave his life? he was going to be successful! he was so educated! Well, while his parents were thinking this, Chris was on the road, backpacking and living off natures resources. Chris brought with him, some good books, that gave him the much needed information he would need to live off of. He hunted, he ate exotic plants and animals, he took baths in the lakes, and he of course didn't shave. He met some amazing people along the way, who at times, provided resources for him; and shelter, before he was back in the wilderness. A lot more events happen but he eventually makes it to Alaska. He is not in very good condition because he hasn't been able to eat much, so he finds what he can, which at the time were berries. He misread a passage in one of his books, and accidentally ate the poison ones. This killed him very fast, the side effects of eating this berry caused him to throw up everything he ate, and anything he would eat, which resulted in him starving to death. When writers/people found him later, they discovered his body in a bus he was living in, and on the wall it read "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODBYE AND MAY GOD BLESS ALL!" Chris McCandles was such an amazing human being, finding what truly makes a person happy,.... or at least me, traveling.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing story. The man lived more in those last few months/years than most of us do ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. read this in high school. could not put it down. I was excited for the movie and thought i was very underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. inspiring story

    luckily chris was privileged enough he was able to explore the world and not have to work

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who tried to do this once. bought $200 worth of camping equipment and just took off. He came back a day later when he realized that it was a stupid idea for him. But anyways, travelling is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is what matters to you. This man truly lived.

    I, however, love my laptop, my phone, the internet, and showers. Sorry Chris, your life isn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....didn't even now this existed yet Chris was right....this world has become so materialistic that people forget how important life is.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very touching story, kinda a sad/happy ending to it, not sure what to think

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually watched this film which surprises me. Usually, I always end up saying "never watched it." But yeah, I did watch this but I don't think I got the full meaning of it the first time around. Might have to play it again, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. o_O I see they made a movie about this. My friend's girlfriend told me to read the book like two dozen times. Apparently I would like it. I'm gonna check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great! I loved this movie, brings back memories

    ReplyDelete
  11. so beautiful such a great story too!!brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete